Data Engineer (Data Platform team)
TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel site, operates at scale with over 500 million reviews, opinions, photos, and videos reaching over 390 million unique visitors each month. We are a data driven company that leverages our data to empower our decisions.
Our data is used to help people have amazing and safe trips as they travel the world. The Data Platform team are the experts in our data landscape at TripAdvisor, building out and maintaining truths to enable Tripadvisor to empower travelers across the world finding the best hotels, the best restaurants, and the best experiences they can have!
The Data Platform team is growing its world class enterprise data team and is looking for talented engineers to contribute to architecture and development. Our team is responsible for building out all of the core datasets that will be used across Tripadvisor, as well as supporting our analytics, data science, and machine learning teams.
TripAdvisor provides a unique, global work environment that captures the speed, innovation and excitement of a startup, at a thriving, growing and well-established industry brand.
We take pride in our data engineering and are looking for a talented and highly-motivated engineer with a passion for solving interesting problems to add to our high-performing team.
What we need
- Solid experience developing complex ETL processes; these should include defining SLA, performance measurements and monitoring
- Experience working with large datasets (terabyte scale and growing) and familiarity with various technologies and tooling associated with databases and big data.
- Relational DB (MS SQL, PostgreSQL/MySQL).
- Big Data (i.e. Hadoop, Hive, BigQuery, Snowflake)
- Strong experience in OO or functional programming in Java/Python or equivalent language
- Strong Software Engineering principles
- Systems performance and tuning experience, with an eye for how systems architecture and design impacts performance and scalability
- Knowledge of best practices around DB administration
- Organized, self-motivator, great communicator and detail-oriented
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Strong interpersonal skills, intense curiosity, and an enthusiasm for solving difficult problems.
- Ability to work with end users to solve technical challenges
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 4+ years of general software development
- Proven record of writing technical documentation and presenting at design reviews.
- Proven record of technical leadership on medium to large size projects