Data Scientist, Helios
US, Portugal, UK
Posted 1 month ago
As the first internal Data Scientist at MemSQL, you will play a crucial role in shaping the future of MemSQL by deepening our understanding of how people use our database technology and Helios database as a service product. You're expected to be capable of working in a fast-paced environment to generate and test hypotheses quickly. You’re also passionate about collaborating closely with small, self-sufficient teams with a common goal: improving, optimizing, and developing new strategies to enhance the value of our platform.
You’ll work cross-functionally with Engineering, Product Management, User Experience, Marketing, and Design to identify and answer our most important questions, transforming raw data into understandable and actionable insights.
You will generate innovative recommendations and insights that help our teams innovate internally and externally. Enabling the optimization of internal resources as well as our customers’ ability to engage effectively with our software. You’ll be a crucial member of the Design team that focuses on building cohesive customer experience across our offerings and enhances the performance and scalability of our technology. Examples of some of the projects we work on include; customer onboarding, customer retention projects, monitoring dashboards, and more.
If you enjoy being a builder, solving complex problems, and tackling tough challenges, we’d love to talk with you! Joining this team, you’ll experience the benefits of working in a dynamic, distributed, and entrepreneurial environment that is revolutionizing companies’ ability to leverage their data.
Role and Responsibilities
- Partner with product, marketing, and engineering teams to help drive insights, identify opportunities, and understand behavior and long-term trends
- Take a leading role in producing new datasets that unlock business opportunities
- Manage existing datasets in various systems such as Google Analytics, Mixpanel, Segment and more.
- Manage the design and analysis of experiments; develop and socialize a rigorous culture of experimentation throughout the entire company.
- Play a foundational role in building a data culture at MemSQL through reproducible work, improved processes, and better tooling.
- Develop hypotheses and test them with data, rather than only or mostly relying data already in front of us
- Define and monitor key metrics through consistent tracking, KPI’s, and dashboards.
- Work in a collaborative, production-facing codebase that has close coupling with engineering systems
- Conduct experiments to show causal impact of new ideas or implementations
- Effectively communicate and share results with both technical and non-technical cross-functional partners
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
- 2+ years previous experience as a data scientist, data analyst, or data engineer
- Experience implementing/designing machine learning algorithms
- You have strong knowledge of statistics and experimental design
- You possess a natural curiosity and strive to uncover the deeper relationships that are not always immediately discoverable
- Experience writing and optimizing complex SQL queries for large data sets and are familiar with a scientific programming language, such as R or Python.
- You are an excellent storyteller and able to communicate your findings with clarity and precision
- Ability to work with both technical and non-technical partners (presentations, managing expectations and multiple stakeholders, soliciting buy-in, etc.)
- Interest in both collaborative ownership and self-ownership of a building a data science practice
MemSQL is The No-Limits Database™ powering modern applications and analytical systems with a cloud-native, scalable architecture for maximum ingest and query performance at the highest concurrency. MemSQL envisions a world where every business can make decisions in real time and every experience is optimized through data.
Global enterprises use the MemSQL distributed database to easily ingest, process, analyze, and act on data in order to thrive in today’s insight-driven economy. MemSQL is optimized to run on any public cloud or on-premises with commodity hardware. Visit memsql.com or follow us @memsql.
Consistent with our commitment to diversity & inclusion, we value individuals with the ability to work on diverse teams and with a diverse range of people.
To all recruitment agencies: MemSQL does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to MemSQL employees. MemSQL is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with the Company.