Director, Applied Mathematics & Computational Research Division
Full Time Mid-level / Intermediate
Director, Applied Mathematics & Computational Research Division - 95162
Organization: AM-Applied Mathematics and Computational Research
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is seeking a dynamic scientific leader with an outstanding reputation and record of research accomplishments in applied math, computational science, or computer science to serve as the Director of the Applied Mathematics and Computational Research (AMCR) Division.
About the Position:
This is an unparalleled opportunity to lead a research program that is internationally recognized for excellence in applied mathematics, computer science, and computational research, and to foster an environment that supports high-quality scientific research in foundational and groundbreaking fields and further advances in computing and mathematics.
The AMCR Division Director is responsible for the research and operations activities of the Division, overseeing an annual budget of $70 million and a staff of 140 employees and 100 affiliates. Reporting to the Associate Laboratory Director for Computing Sciences, the Director is responsible for providing vision and leadership for the AMCR Division, and has full responsibility for all areas of management, including scientific research, operations, finance, human resources, and environmental health and safety. The Director establishes a culture of excellence and inclusion by recruiting a diverse team of outstanding scientists and staff, enthusiastically supporting and promoting their career development.
The AMCR Director serves as a member of the executive team of the Computing Sciences Area, comprising the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center, Scientific Networking, and Scientific Data Divisions in addition to the AMCR Division. The Director is expected to build collaborative partnerships and programs within the Computing Sciences Area, with other Divisions at Berkeley Lab, and with external research institutions to contribute to large-scale, multidisciplinary initiatives, such as quantum information science and machine learning. The Director is also responsible for advancing Berkeley Lab’s stewardship values of team science, innovation, trust, respect, and service, including building and maintaining a culture that is committed to the ideals of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accountability.
About the Applied Mathematics & Computational Research Division:
The AMCR Division leads world-class research on some of the most advanced supercomputing and quantum computing platforms. AMCR researchers regularly win Best Paper awards, are called upon to give keynote addresses at international conferences, and develop leading-edge software that researchers worldwide use to produce impactful results. The Division includes eight SIAM Fellows, two AAAS Fellows, six members of the National Academy of Sciences, and a member National Academy of Engineering.
The AMCR Division’s foundational and ground-breaking research and development is in the areas of mathematical modeling, simulation and analysis, algorithm design, computer system architecture, and high-performance software implementation. We collaborate directly with scientists across Berkeley Lab, DOE, and industry to solve some of the world’s most challenging computational problems in a broad range of scientific and engineering fields, including materials science, biology, climate modeling, astrophysics, fusion science, and many others. The AMCR Division is primarily funded by the Advanced Scientific Computing Research (ASCR) program of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science. Learn more about the AMCR Division here.
• Provide scientific and operational leadership for AMCR research programs, overseeing a $70-million portfolio and approximately 240 employees, including scientists, postdoctoral fellows, professional staff, affiliates, and students.
• Develop new initiatives advancing a long-term research vision and strategic plan aligned with national goals, and working collaboratively with Berkeley Lab senior leadership.
• Play a key role in the formulation and direction of Laboratory programs, strategy, and research policies that enhance Berkeley Lab’s preeminence as a National Laboratory.
Partnership, Communications, and Culture
• Develop cooperative programs with colleagues at University of California and other research institutions.
• Establish and communicate the AMCR Division’s mission, goals, and accomplishments to Division staff and funding sponsors, Berkeley Lab staff and leadership, and to the broader research community.
• Liaise with DOE officials to champion applied math and computer science-related research, influence future research directions, and communicate new ideas; implement DOE policies as they impact the AMCR Division.
• Foster a culture of diversity, inclusion, equity, and accountability by: following best practices in recruitment and promotion; engaging staff at all levels through communication, involvement, and recognition; and encouraging diverse committees and panels.
• Ensure operational effectiveness and compliance, in partnership with the Operations Deputy, across the operations areas, including budgets, funding, workforce planning, human resources management, environmental health and safety, property, space, and facilities management.
• Address management and resource challenges of a complex organization; guide strategies for hiring, retaining, and developing a diverse and productive staff.
• Help assure the efficient, effective, and safe operation of the Laboratory as a member of the Lab’s scientific and operational leadership.
• Ph.D. or equivalent education/experience in applied math, computer science, or a related field, and at least 10 years of professional experience.
• An expert and leader in an area of applied math, computer science, computational science, or related field that is aligned with the AMCR Division research program.
• Strong record of research accomplishments, as evidenced by scholarly publications, patents, development and release of software products, and/or funded research grants.
Research Program Development & Management:
• Experience and demonstrated competence in the management of scientific projects and collaborative science.
• Strategic leadership ability applicable to running a diverse, team-oriented organization with a multidisciplinary group of scientists and engineers.
• Ability to interact effectively with funding agencies and initiate substantial new research efforts and collaborations.
Communications and Culture
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to interact at the highest level of management, both internally and externally, in a constructive and collaborative manner and in a way that appropriately represents the Laboratory.
• Commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and accountability, including a commitment to mentoring and career development of personnel.
• Experience in effective oversight of operational functions, creativity in decision making and problem solving, and experience in human resource management.
• For full consideration, please submit your CV and cover letter by May 15, 2022.
• This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• The Applied Mathematics and Computational Research Division Director position is a career position that is appointed by and serves at the discretion of the Laboratory Director, and this appointment is at will and may be terminated at any time with or without cause.
• This position is subject to the financial disclosure requirements of the California Political Reform Act of 1974. The successful candidate for this position will be required to file financial interest statements upon • Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
About Berkeley Lab
When it was founded over 90 years ago in 1931, Berkeley Lab ushered in a new way of doing science based on building large teams of researchers from different fields, along with engineers, mathematicians, machinists, and accountants, to tackle significant scientific challenges together. This approach has led to Berkeley Lab researchers winning 14 Nobel Prizes and a research portfolio that includes significant and often world-leading programs in physics, chemistry, materials sciences, advanced computing, scientific networking, biosciences, energy and energy technologies, and environmental sciences. “Team Science” remains an integral part of Berkeley Lab’s DNA, where research is carried out across multiple scientific disciplines.
Berkeley Lab has a dynamic workforce of over 4,000 employees and an annual operating budget of approximately $1.1 billion. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for DOE’s Office of Science.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://220.127.116.11/counter.php?id=224968 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov (https://covid.lbl.gov/) for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Machine Learning Engineering Manager jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open KPIs-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs