Data Engineer (Zurich, Switzerland)
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Who We Are
Founded in 2017, Unit8 is a fast-growing Swiss AI and data analytics company dedicated to solving complex problems of traditional industries like automotive, chemical, finance, manufacturing and pharma. We work with some of the biggest organisations in the world to solve the challenges that directly affect their business - be its operations, finance, manufacturing or R&D.
Our team comprises of world-class experts in Software Engineering and Data Science who previously worked for Silicon Valley companies like Google, Amazon, Palantir or Apple.
Unit8’s mission is to drive the adoption of AI and Data Science in the non-digital industries to help accelerate their digital transformation. Among its activities, Unit8 dedicates a part of its resources and time on projects that deeply matter to us - that includes collaboration on pro-bono and “engineering for good” cases.
Are You the team member we are looking for?
Unit8 is looking for a Data Engineer to join our team in Zurich. As a member of agile project teams, your mission will be to build solutions and infrastructure aiming at solving business problems of our clients.
- You know how to work with high volume heterogeneous data, preferably with distributed systems such as Hadoop.
- You know how to write distributed services in Python or Java or Scala.
- You are knowledgeable about data modeling, data access, and data storage techniques.
- You appreciate agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation.
- You understand the value of teamwork.
- You are willing to travel up to 20% of your time to meet with your clients (mainly in Europe).
- You are comfortable to interact with clients and to deliver presentations on how you can solve their issues.
- You are customer-focused and you have a service-oriented mindset.
What You’ll DoUnit8 is growing at a fast pace and your role can evolve and will depend from our clients’ challenges. In general, you will:
- Design, build, maintain, and troubleshoot data pipelines and processing systems that are relied on for both production and analytics applications, using tools like Spark or Airflow.
- Help drive optimization, testing and tooling to improve data quality.
- Collaborate with other software engineers, ML experts and stakeholders, taking learning and leadership opportunities that will arise every single day.
- Work in multi-functional agile teams to continuously experiment, iterate and deliver on new product objectives.
What We Offer
- Work on client projects that have a concrete impact on their business
- The opportunity to join a fast-growing service company with a start-up atmosphere
- Tailor-made mentorship program
- Learning activities such ML Reading Groups, knowledge sharing sessions with other engineers
- 10% of the time for self-development
- Compensation package including base salary, yearly bonus based on the performance of the company and company shares
- Cross offices/company wide frequent events like offsite