Internship: Machine Learning Engineer (Tree models)
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
Huawei's vision is to enrich life through communication. We are a fast growing and leading global information and communications technology solutions provider. With our three business units Carrier, Enterprise and Consumer, we offer network infrastructure, cloud computing solutions and devices such as smartphones and tablet PCs.
Among our customers are 45 of the world's top 50 telecom operators, and one third of the world’s population uses Huawei technologies. Huawei is active in more than 170 countries and has over 180,000 employees of which more than 80,000 are engaged in research and development (R&D). With us you have the opportunity to work in a dynamic, multinational environment with more than 150 nationalities worldwide. We seek and reward talent. At Huawei, if you are dedicated to creativity, engagement of technical risks and delivery of target-driven results, your efforts will be rewarded with outstanding career prospects.
Our Research Center
With 18 sites across Europe and 1500 researchers, Huawei’s European Research Institute (ERI) oversees fundamental and applied technology research, academic research cooperation projects, and strategic technical planning across our network of European R&D facilities. Huawei’s ERI includes the new Zurich Research Center (ZRC), located in Zurich, Switzerland. A major element of ZRC is a new research laboratory focused on fundamental research in the area of future computing systems (innovation on hardware, software and algorithmic design).
The research work of the lab will be carried out not only by Huawei’s internal research staff but also by our academic research partners in universities across Europe. The lab will provide an “open research environment” where academics will be encouraged to visit and work on fundamental long-term research alongside Huawei staff in an environment that, like the best universities and research institutes, is open and conducive to such scientific work.
For this new ZRC Laboratory, we are currently looking for an outstanding Machine Learning Engineer Intern. As a key member in our motivated and multicultural team, you will support to design, implement and benchmark the next generation machine learning systems.
If you are interested in gaining practical experience while working with the newest technologies and create solutions which enrich people’s life, we are the right company for you. You will be part of a multicultural team and rapidly growing environment - write the future together with us!
- Perform literature review on specialized machine learning models and software implementations
- Implement and/or enhance specialized implementations of machine learning models
- Conduct reproducible machine learning model experiments on various real-world datasets
- Support on preparation and publishing of research findings in research conferences / journals
- You are currently enrolled in a Bachelor, Master‘s degree or PhD in computer science, software engineering, data science, statistics or any related fields at a reputable university.
- Strong mathematical/algorithmic problem-solving (analysis of algorithms) and software development skills (C/C++ and Python).
- Knowledge on fundamentals of Machine Learning with focus on tree based models (Decision Trees, Random Forests, Gradient Boosting Trees)
- Optional: knowledge or hands-on experience with any modern Gradient Boosting Tree implementations such as XGboost / LightGBM
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English
Applications need to include a CV and a motivation letter both merged in one document. Please clearly indicate your preferred starting date on your motivation letter.
The starting date for the internship is flexible to the student's availability. The duration of our internships can fluctuate depending on the university regulations and agreements.
We will only consider candidates whose profile and qualifications meet our requirements.