Lead Data & Machine Learning Engineer
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the department
Cloudflare is looking to grow our Business Intelligence team responsible for enabling various product and business teams such as Marketing, Sales, Finance, Customer Support, Infrastructure and Product Development teams with data and analytics. Our team currently has Data Engineers, Data Analysts, and Data Scientists and we are looking to add a lead data engineer in Lisbon, Portugal to scale our data platform and models. This will be the first data engineering hire in our Lisbon office, and will be responsible for actively mentoring a cross-functional data team in that office. This is a player/coach position, and you will be responsible for significant independent engineering work.
What you'll do
- Work on the end-to-end data pipeline, from data collection/ingestion all the way to analytics and enabling modeling systems
- Partner and align with data engineers, data analysts, data scientists, business leaders, stakeholders, product managers and internal teams to enable data driven solutions to key business problems
- Understand data landscape i.e tooling, tech stack, source systems etc. and work closely with the data engineering team to improve the data collection and quality
- Build and maintain data systems following best practices in software engineering to support scale, reliability and experimentation
- Build rich data sets that drive innovation in data driven insights at scale within the company
- Strong communication skills to communicate between engineering, data science, and product management teams
- Use storytelling skills to communicate insights in a crisp and concise manner
- Active role in hiring, growing, and mentoring the nascent data team in Lisbon
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- M.S or Ph.D in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or other quantitative fields
- Strong experience in scientific computing using Python, R, or Scala
- Experience with Spark, SQL, Tableau, Google Analytics, Hive and BigQuery (or any other Big data/Cloud equivalent) etc.
- Experience working with and processing structured, unstructured, and semi-structured data
- Experience building data systems at scale
- 5+ years of engineering experience with proven industry experience in big data engineering
- 2+ years experience with a fast-growing SaaS business based company is preferred
- Experience building big data systems required, experience building Machine Learning pipelines is a strong plus
- Strong communication and presentation skills catered to different audiences within the company
- Strong empathy and ability to guide junior and mid-level engineers and analysts
- Full stack software development experience a strong plus
- Experience in fast prototyping and establishing engineering best practices is preferred
- Experience with container based deployments such as Docker & Kubernetes
- Experience in building RESTful and microservices applications
- Experience in building data systems for large scale clickstream and request data a plus
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer III Jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Scientist II Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer - Streaming Jobs
- Open Data Engineering Manager (Data Science & Analytics) Jobs
- Open Software Engineer - Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open BI Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Business Intelligence Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Data Specialist Jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) Jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Data pipelines-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs
- Open NumPy-related jobs
- Open Keras-related jobs
- Open MongoDB-related jobs
- Open Cassandra-related jobs