Staff Machine Learning Engineer
New York, NY
Posted 2 weeks ago
The Personalization team makes deciding what to play next easier and more enjoyable for every listener. From Daily Mix to Discover Weekly, we’re behind some of Spotify’s most-loved features. We built them by understanding the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else. Join us and you’ll keep millions of users listening by making great recommendations to each and every one of them.
What you will learn and do
- Deliver core machine learning contributions to optimize user satisfaction with personalized content in playlists, radio, and other listening experiences.
- Work closely with Product, User Research, Data Scientists, and other engineers in a 50-person organization to develop machine learning approaches that advance our mission to connect fans and artists.
- Prototype new approaches and productionize solutions at scale for our hundreds of millions of active users; provide mentorship to machine learning engineers across the org to further these efforts.
- As part of the leadership team of a 50-person org, develop and help execute our long-term strategy and roadmap.
- Be accountable for algorithmic fairness and responsibility of playlist content recommendations systems.
- Identify opportunities for platformization and communicate requirements to platform teams.
Who you are
- You have a strong background in building content recommendation products with machine learning, especially systems that have served 1M+ users. You have 6+ years of machine learning experience, 3+ years in an industry setting.
- You’re passionate about improving the experience of music listeners with personalization.
- You have hands-on experience implementing production machine learning content recommendations systems at scale in Java, Scala, Python, or similar languages. Experience with XGBoost, TensorFlow is also a plus.
- You have experience with data pipeline tools like Apache Beam or even our open source API for it, Scio, and cloud platforms like GCP or AWS.
- You care about agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and disciplined experimentation.
- You keep up with state of the art research by reading papers, attending conferences, and participating in research communities.
Nice to have
- Multimedia (audio, image, and/or video) recs experience
- Strong passion for music
- Published in top-tier machine learning conferences / journals
Job tags: AWS Java Machine Learning Open Source Python Research Scala TensorFlow XGBoost