Manager, Data Engineering
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lightspeed CommerceLightspeed is the fast, intuitive POS and payments platform helping the world’s best retail, hospitality and golf businesses get even better.
Lightspeed Capital is looking for a Development Manager to lead the Data function in North America and grow our technical team within the Financial Services organization.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Capital Engineering, you will help us lead, mentor and grow a high-performing software development team and cultivate an inclusive, inspiring working culture. Under your guidance, developers will help unlock historical and predictive insights for the Capital - a product that is mission-critical to Lightspeed’s long-term vision and growth.
We are looking for a leader with a solid, demonstrable background in data and analytics engineering, who can earn the respect of engineers with their knowledge and experince. You will have a proven track record of supporting, mentoring, leading and growing a data team, and of delivering reliable, robust and highly available data pipelines and models. You will enjoy problem-solving and removing blockers to the team’s progress and will have experience collaborating with Product teams and stakeholders like Finance, Risk and Operations. You will be an effective and clear communicator who can direction-set and track team delivery in a distributed, fast-moving and rapidly changing agile environment.
For this role, you should be located in Canada, and able to work within EST/EDT hours. We offer a choice of fully remote, partially remote or fully office-based work environments (in cities with local offices).
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Proactively driving the data vision and strategy across the Capital product vertical
- Guiding, motivating and growing a new and fast-evolving team of data engineers as they solve complex problems in the Capital domain
- Directly managing a team in collaboration with a Technical Lead
- Working closely with architects, Product Managers, engineering leadership and stakeholders to drive team priorities and roadmaps
- Identifying, communicating and removing impediments and risks to delivery, within the team and across Financial Services as a whole
- Planning and furthering the professional growth of individual team members, including 1-1s, performance reviews, ongoing feedback, goal-setting and promotions
- Reporting up to engineering leadership and stakeholders on team progress and status
- Finding and hiring top talent for your team and the wider organization
- Providing technical and process guidance to the team during delivery
What you’ll be bringing to the team:
- Experience leading a team of data engineers through the successful delivery of projects
- Deep knowledge of data architecture, modelling and visualization tools
- Strong working knowledge of SQL and Python (or equivalent language)
- Professional experience in agile development and continuous delivery of best practices
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to personally coach, mentor and drive individuals and overall teams
- Strong passion for continuous learning and improvement
- A quality-driven mindset with a focus on scalability and resilience
Some additional things that would be a bonus:
- Experience in the FinTech domain
- Experience in building scalable data solutions for large-scale products
- Expertise in navigating through legacy data architecture and models and developing a strong understanding of it.
- Project Management or Scrum master experience, or formal training
Who you are:
- A leader with strong people skills who can manage and represent your team
- A teacher and mentor helping individuals to grow and reach their full potential
- A communicator who can clearly convey requirements, best practices and status updates to both technical and non-technical audiences
- A problem-solver who embraces tackling complexity and removing roadblocks
- A decisive decision-maker who can handle change and ambiguity
What is in for you:
- Join a growing team and help us move to the next level
- Amazing benefits & perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders
- Constant development of both your skill set and business acumen with limitless growth opportunities
- Lots of autonomy, flexible work culture
- Innovation time to explore and learn at work
- Shaping the company by joining cultural & technical committees
- Tons of growth opportunities in technical or people management roles
- Opportunity to join a fast-paced, high-growth company
- Opportunity to learn, expand your skill set, forge wonderful relationships and make your mark within the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family, a true Canadian tech success story
…. And enjoy a range of benefits that will keep you happy, healthy and (not) hungry.
- Lightspeed equity scheme (we are all owners).
- Flexible paid time off and remote work policies.
- Health insurance.
- Contributions to your pension plan - RRSP.
- Health and wellness benefit of $500 per year.
- Paid leave and assistance for new parents.
- Mental health online platform and counselling & coaching services.
- Training opportunities to grow your skills and career
- Volunteer day.
- Fully stacked kitchen (hot and cold beverages, meals served)
- Happy hours to build your relationships with colleagues after work
To all recruitment agencies: Lightspeed does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. If we have not directly engaged your company in writing to supply candidates for a specific vacancy, Lightspeed will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Lightspeed is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to creating an inclusive and barrier-free workplace. Lightspeed welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Where to from here?
Obviously, this has to be mutually beneficial: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day. For a glimpse into our world check out our career page here.
Lightspeed is building communities through commerce, and we need people from all backgrounds and lived experiences to do that. We were founded in 2005, in Montreal’s gay village and our original members were all part of the LGBTQ+ community. The ethos of our business has been about inclusion from the very beginning, and we strive to provide a workplace where everyone belongs.
Who we are:
Powering the businesses that are the backbone of the global economy, Lightspeed's one-stop commerce platform helps merchants innovate to simplify, scale, and provide exceptional customer experiences. Our cloud commerce solution transforms and unifies online and physical operations, multichannel sales, expansion to new locations, global payments, financial solutions, and connection to supplier networks.
* Salary range is an estimate based on our AI, ML, Data Science Salary Index 💰
More jobs like this
Cambridge, MA, US, MA … Cambridge, MA, US, MA 02139 Full TimeMid Mid-levelUSD 92K - 154K * USD 92K+ *
Associate Director, IT Data Engineer (Remote)Airflow Architecture AWS Business Intelligence CI/CD Databricks +16
401(k) matching Career development Health care Insurance Medical leave +1
Toronto, Ontario, Canada Toronto, Ontario, Canada Full TimeMid Mid-levelUSD 92K - 154K * USD 92K+ *
Data Engineering Manager (Hybrid)Data pipelines Data quality Distributed Systems Engineering Feature engineering Machine Learning +7
Career development Equity Flex vacation Gear Health care +4
Explore more AI, ML, Data Science career opportunities
Find even more open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general - ordered by popularity of job title or skills, toolset and products used - below.
- Open BI Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Science Manager jobs
- Open Principal Data Engineer jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open AI Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Sr Data Engineer jobs
- Open Business Intelligence Developer jobs
- Open Sr. Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Data Quality Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Senior Business Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Product Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Manager jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open ETL Developer jobs
- Open Data Product Manager jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Head of Data jobs
- Open Data quality-related jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Privacy-related jobs
- Open Java-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Databricks-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Data warehouse-related jobs
- Open Data governance-related jobs