Machine Learning Engineer, Platform - Applied AI
Virta HealthVirta is the first clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes without medications or surgery.
Virta Health is on a mission to transform diabetes care and reverse the type 2 diabetes epidemic. Current treatment approaches aren’t working—over half of US adults have either type 2 diabetes or prediabetes. Virta is changing this by helping people reverse type 2 diabetes through innovations in technology, personalized nutrition, and virtual care delivery reinvented from the ground up. We have raised over $350 million from top-tier investors, and partner with the largest health plans, employers, and government organizations to help their employees and members restore their health and live diabetes-free. Join us on our mission to reverse diabetes in 100M people by 2025.
As a full stack health care company of physicians, engineers, marketers and more under one roof, Virta collects comprehensive data on our patients’ experience. The Applied AI team leverages this data to build the next generation of health care for chronic diseases. We build and interpret intelligent systems that power our product in order to scale the treatment, drive patient acquisition, and improve patient outcomes.
We strive to be a self-reliant, full-stack AI team. As an engineer focused on our platform, you are passionate about improving the infrastructure, workflows, and tooling that Applied AI uses to deliver its systems. The ideal candidate gets energy from helping colleagues train, deploy, and operate production AI systems with less friction, and would be excited to spend the majority of their time in service of related goals.
Check out our technical blog to find out how Virta is developing the next generation of healthcare technology: https://www.virtahealth.com/health-tech
- Building extensible, self-service tooling and platforms across areas, including (but not limited to):
- Model Development: Enable faster and richer model dev iterations via GPU acceleration, distributed training, and supporting a broad ecosystem of ML frameworks. Improve the speed and scalability of our data processing capabilities with Cloud technologies like Dataflow.
- Model Serving: Define patterns to multi-model systems at varying latency requirements (e.g. to support daily batch pipelines or low-latency inference)
- ML Ops: Lead the team in critical technical choices, such as how we approach production model monitoring, ML-native CI/CD practices, and model lifecycle management.
- Forge close relationships with senior technical leaders from infrastructure and product engineering. Drive towards strong service contracts across Virta’s technology organization so Applied AI team members can ship autonomously with minimal handoffs.
- On occasion, partner with ML engineers as they research, develop, deploy, and monitor intelligent systems that improve patient acquisition and outcomes at scale.
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Immerse yourself in the rich data we collect in service of our patients’ care. Our data includes high dimensional clinical time series, meal images, natural language discourse, insurance claims, app interactions, and much more
- Help us deploy one new ML product or make a major modification to an existing ML product.
- Draft a roadmap for our tooling and infrastructure. Develop opinions on what we should build vs. buy
- Work with team members to enable efficiency improvements across their ML related tasks
- Teach and inspire other Applied AI team members on your areas of expertise through knowledge sharing, pair programming, and code reviews
- You have 4+ years of experience as a backend, infrastructure, or ML engineer with experience applying your skills to develop an AI/ML platform. For a senior position, you have 6+ years of relevant experience.
- You are passionate about designing scalable, fault tolerant machine learning systems that interact directly with production traffic
- You understand the fundamentals of machine learning, enough to partner with Machine Learning Engineers to incorporate their evolving needs into our platform
- You have experience with modern data processing technologies like Apache Spark or Apache Beam, and/or model serving technologies like Kubeflow, Seldon Core, or Ray Serve
- You excel at communicating progress, trade-offs, and the results of your work to team members from other functions
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
As part of your duties at Virta, you may come in contact with sensitive patient information that is governed by HIPAA. Throughout your career at Virta, you will be expected to follow Virta's security and privacy procedures to ensure our patients' information remains strictly confidential. Security and privacy training will be provided.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Staff Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Data Analyst II jobs
- Open Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality jobs
- Open Data Engineer - New York Hub jobs
- Open Director of Data Engineering jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs