Staff Data Scientist - Inference, Policy & Communications
San Francisco, CA
AirbnbFind vacation rentals, cabins, beach houses, unique homes and experiences around the world - all made possible by hosts on Airbnb.
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Policy & Communications is at the heart of how Airbnb works with communities and stakeholders around the world. We're accepting applications for a position as a Staff Data Scientist supporting this team to ensure these engagements are data-driven.
Candidates should have a sound background in data analytics and modeling, and demonstrated skill in organizing, communicating, and presenting analysis via visualizations, dashboards, maps, and other reporting tools.
The position offers an opportunity to provide meaningful insights both within Airbnb and to communities across the world. As a result, the role requires working with cross-functional partners throughout the organization (policy/comms, business, legal, finance, data science), as well as external partners outside of Airbnb (experts, academics, policy-makers, media). Candidates should be able to navigate these environments, operating independently and driving their own agenda, but must also work well with partners. A teamwork mentality and “no task too big or too small” attitude is key.
The scope of work includes quantitative analysis of high-impact, high-visibility topics including housing, tourism, economic development/impact, taxes, and regulation. Because of this visibility, translation of sometimes complex analyses into accessible and scalable resources is key. You will not only be the trusted analytics expert on the team, but also a storyteller.
- Regulatory impact analysis and modeling, as well as guidance to policy team members
- Collaboration with academics and experts on policy research topics
- Mapping and spatial analysis of data
- Amazing visualizations to convey key concepts.
- Converting insights into “Data Journalism” useful for our communications team
- Dashboards and other tools to scale data usage across a large org
Qualifications and expectations of this role include:
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field.
- 6+ years experience in data analysis and modeling.
- Ability to perform complex strategic analysis.
- Excellent project management, communication, and teamwork skills
- Causal inference techniques (e.g. econometric regressions & quasi-experimental techniques)
- Knowledge of data tools including: R/Python, SQL, Data Visualization, GIS, Excel
- Exposure to the policy and economics domain, or adjacent domains
- Proven experience in creating clear, useful data dashboards
- Enthusiasm for the policy & communications space.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Data Analyst II jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality jobs
- Open Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Engineer - New York Hub jobs
- Open Director of Data Engineering jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs