Senior Data Engineer
Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands
PollenInterested in traveling outside the UK since travel restrictions have been loosened? Explore our luxury travel experiences from countries recently put on the green list.
Pollen is on a mission to build, curate and deliver the best experiences all over the world. We want to give people a bigger life. When our members think back 10 years over their best memories, we want to be responsible for 3 of the 5 best ones.
We think we can do this by transforming the way experiences are curated and executed by evolving from art-led to science-led as we scale. Data, science and technology are at the centre of this evolution and the Data Platform team makes a critical contribution by collecting, protecting and making data easy to use for the entire organisation.
Data engineers in the Data Platform team enable everyone at Pollen to produce and consume data. They architect and implement the infrastructure (e.g. using Terraform, Docker) that makes producing and consuming data possible (e.g. Snowflake, Airflow, dbt, Looker, Notebooks). They collect and protect data from across our internally owned and externally procured systems landscape into our data platform. They manage the tooling that makes it easy to produce and consume data products (and services) from data on the platform. Ultimately, they make it possible for Pollen to combine, enrich and consume data safely at scale so we can better achieve our company mission.
What you'll do in 12 months:
- Successfully develop ingestion pipelines and patterns for all mission critical data sources:
- Collaborate with your fellow data engineers to build towards configurable ingestion pipelines (I.E Python) for sources that push their data into S3 and Snowflake.
- Success will be measured by the percentage of Pollen data sources that are already ingested into Snowflake with each source meeting respective accuracy, recency and availability SLOs.
- Expand the capabilities of our data platform:
- Design self-service and user-friendly tools, libraries, APIs, and services that empower data professionals to harness the potential of our data; this will be in the areas such as data discovery, data observability and experimentation.
- Success will be measured by factors such as: stability (E.G. uptime), direct feedback from data professionals on ease of use & empowerment and an improved understanding of the characteristics of the data on the platform such as accuracy, recency and lineage.
- Contributing to our practices and implementing operational excellence across all our infrastructure and pipelines.
- Implement our shared practices for defining service level indicators, setting service level objectives and developing monitoring & alerting and CI/CD through excellence in your own practice, providing light touch support to your colleagues as needed.
- Success will be measured by the percentage coverage of service level objectives, with monitoring and alerting, across all our data infrastructure and pipelines.
- Improve the configurability of our overall platform infrastructure:
- Work across the team and with the Engineering to complete our migration to Infrastructure as Code using Terraform and Docker. If you do not have direct experience with either tool, no problem! We are happy to develop you in these areas.
- Success will be measured by the percentage of data services defined and planned through declarative configuration, and therefore able to be managed through Terraform.
- Coach and mentor other engineers in the team:
- Help junior and mid engineers in the team make stretch improvements in their already strong code quality and technical problem solving.
- Success will be measured by both the observable growth in the team (e.g. reduced lead time, increased deployment frequency, etc) and the direct feedback you get from them about the positive impact you’re having on their practices.
- Find your stretch!
- Data Engineers at Pollen own their results (e.g. those above) and from there can choose to execute work on Machine Learning engineering, including working with Data Scientists and deploying ML models, or execute downstream on engineering analytical friendly datasets (e.g with dbt).
- Your stretch is completely up to you!
What you’ll love
- Working with awesome data and ML technologies including Snowflake, dbt, Airflow in a cloud services environment configured with Terraform (we currently use GCP but will move to AWS as we expand data science capabilities)
- Being in a fast growing organisation built on the drivers of intrinsic motivation -- Freedom & Ownership, Mastery and Belonging -- and loving what you do
- Embracing a passion for learning, fostering a growth mindset and overcoming limiting beliefs so you become 10x better as an engineer than when you joined
- Getting to know more about what gives you energy, what you’re really good at and being supported by an experienced development champion as you pursue further data mastery and drive your own development
- Enjoy the freedom to work where you need, when you need, taking as many holidays as you need so you can stay motivated and achieve your results in the best way possible
About our culture
- We are results focused so you can choose your own hours & take as much vacation as you need to drive results and perform at your best. Watch our CEO talk about our innovative culture.
- Read our CEO’s open letter about our focus on Belonging, and about the mission of our women’s programme Illuminate.
- Everyone is an equity owner in the company.
Find out more about our culture and life at Pollen on Instagram.
Pollen builds, curates, and delivers the best travel experiences using technology, a network of global partners, and a data-driven customer-led mindset – pairing world class entertainment with the world’s most exciting destinations.
Pollen brings you all the best experiences on pollen.co. We have two offerings: Pollen Presents and Pollen+. Pollen Presents curates experiences around your tastes and preferences you can’t find anywhere else. These experiences bring together music, sports, wellness and beyond to enable you and your friends to connect around one-of-a-kind itineraries in exciting destinations. Pollen+ always gets you more at music festivals and events when you book through us. Pollen+ partners with the biggest promoter brands and music festivals, including We Are FSTVL, Austin City Limits, Bonnaroo, C3, Electric Zoo, Live Nation and more.
Pollen was founded in 2014 by brothers Callum & Liam Negus-Fancey. Pollen is backed by prominent investors including Kindred, Northzone, Sienna Capital, Backed and Draper Spirit. Pollen has raised over $100 million in VC funding.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Streetteam Software Limited t/a Pollen (“Controller”), which is located at 3 Loughborough Street, Vauxhall, London, SE11 5RB and can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Controller’s privacy officer is Stephanie Ng-Fragner, who can be contacted at email@example.com. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under either the standard contractual clauses or the Privacy Shield. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment. In the event that you are unsuccessful during the recruitment process, your personal data will still be retained by Controller for up to a year for the purposes of assessing your application for future vacancies. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. Please notify us if you would like your personal data erased. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority, including the Information Commissioner’s Office, the UK regulator for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk).
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Data Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Staff Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Analyst II jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality jobs
- Open Data Engineer - New York Hub jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs