Senior Machine Learning Engineer - Search & Recommendation
San Francisco, CA; Toronto, ON
Faire is an online wholesale marketplace built on the belief that the future is local — there are over 2 million independent retailers in North America and Europe doing more than $2 trillion in revenue. At Faire, we're using the power of tech, data, and machine learning to connect this thriving community of entrepreneurs across the globe. Picture your favorite boutique in town — we help them discover the best products from around the world to sell in their stores. With the right tools and insights, we believe that we can level the playing field so that small businesses everywhere can compete with these big box and e-commerce giants.
By supporting the growth of independent businesses, Faire is driving positive economic impact in local communities, globally. We’re looking for smart, resourceful and passionate people to join us as we power the shop local movement. If you believe in community, come join ours.
Senior Machine Learning Engineer - Search & Recommendation
Faire is using machine learning to change wholesale and help local retailers compete with Amazon and big box stores. Our experienced data scientists and machine learning engineers are developing solutions related to discovery, ranking, search, recommendations, logistics, underwriting, and more - all with the goal of helping local retail thrive.
The Data team owns a wide variety of algorithms and models that power the marketplace. We care about building machine learning models that help our customers thrive.
As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer you’ll own the machine learning platform that powers all of our search and recommendation surfaces. You'll focus on iterating on our online feature store, scaling it alongside our business. You'll tackle complex problems like platform-izing retrieval, empowering teams to rapidly iterate on retrieval. You'll be in charge of extending our ranking platform, personalizing recommendations everywhere. You'll support our data warehouse, enhancing the feedback loop power that powers our machine-learning models.
Our team already includes experienced Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers from Facebook, Uber, Airbnb, Square, and Pinterest. Faire will soon be known as a top destination for data scientists and machine learning, and you will help take us there!
You’re excited about this role because…
- You’ll be able to work on cutting-edge search & ranking problems combining a wide variety of data about our retailers, brands and products
- You want to use machine learning to help local retailers and independent brands succeed
- You want to build out the latest and greatest machine-learning infrastructure
- You like to solve challenging problems related to a two-sided marketplace
- B.S., M.S., or PhD. in Computer Science or equivalent
- 4+ years of industry experience in machine-learning organizations
- Experience with modern back-end machine learning tech stacks
- Strong fundamental programming skills
- Object-oriented design
- Functional programming
- Systems Design
- An excitement and willingness to learn new tools and techniques
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work with others in a closely collaborative team environment
Great to Haves:
- Experience with DynamoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kinesis Firehose, Redshift/Snowflake
- Experience with Java/Kotlin
- Experience working with complex systems at scale
- Monitoring & Alerting
- Performance analysis
- Designing software for low latency and high through-put
- Experience training and launching machine-learning models
Why you’ll love working at Faire
- We are entrepreneurs: Faire is being built for entrepreneurs, by entrepreneurs. We believe entrepreneurship is a calling and our mission is to empower entrepreneurs to chase their dreams. Every member of our team is an owner of the business and taking part in the founding process.
- We are using technology and data to level the playing field: We are leveraging the power of product innovation and machine learning to connect brands and boutiques from all over the world, building a growing community of more than 350,000 small business owners.
- We build products our customers love: Everything we do is ultimately in the service of helping our customers grow their business because our goal is to grow the pie - not steal a piece from it. Running a small business is hard work, but using Faire makes it easy.
- We are curious and resourceful: Inquisitive by default, we explore every possibility, test every assumption, and develop creative solutions to the challenges at hand. We lead with curiosity and data in our decision making, and reason from a first principles mentality.
Faire was founded in 2017 by a team of early product and engineering leads from Square. We’re backed by some of the top investors in retail and tech including: Y Combinator, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Forerunner Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, and DST Global. We have headquarters in San Francisco and Kitchener-Waterloo, and a global employee presence across offices in Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Toronto, London, New York, LA, and Sao Paulo. To learn more about Faire and our customers, you can read more on our blog.
Faire provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Staff Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Data Analyst II jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality jobs
- Open Data Engineer - New York Hub jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning - Toronto Hub jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs