Engineering Manager, Machine Learning
sennder is Europe’s leading digital freight forwarder. In a traditional industry we are moving fast to digitize and automate all road logistics processes. We are a growing team looking for an Engineering Manager in Machine Learning to help us on our journey to revolutionize road freight logistics. You would join our Data Platform team in the Berlin office.
We value humility and we're as interested in your character as we are in your talent. Please apply, even if you feel you only meet part of our listed criteria. Diversity drives our innovation and we offer a collaborative, dynamic and international work environment. Just be yourself. We are excited to meet you and for you to join us in shaping the future of the logistics industry in Europe.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As an Engineering Manager in Machine Learning, you will take ownership of our machine learning platform pod, owning parts of the sennder Data Platform. You will define and deliver our technology roadmap, foster innovation and allow our multi-disciplinary team to be able to solve all the engineering challenges that come with scale and the complexity of the logistics business. We trust and support each other and encourage our engineers to connect together with regular knowledge sharing sessions as well as being transparent and open with our company vision in regular tech all hands.
You’ll be promoting and encouraging collaboration and transparency and building trusting relationships between business, tech, and other entities within the organization in order to deliver strategically significant work items. While also helping to define and continuously improve outcome-based ways of working.
We believe in giving our autonomous teams a challenging mission and look for leaders that can phrase the mission for teams and like to lead and guide our engineering team to deliver desired outcomes. You will lead multi-disciplinary teams across tech and business by owning and driving key events necessary for the planning, continuous execution, and delivery of any given initiative.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL…
- Build, grow and guide the machine learning engineering team that solve difficult problems in the logistics space
- Drive external and internal hiring as well as developing our engineering talent into new challenges and roles.
- Support individuals in their career development and personal growth
- Set the technology vision and architectural direction for your team and execute against that vision and agreed on target state.
- Continuously identify and resolve technical debt, quality issues and gaps in engineering processes.
- Apply pragmatic solutions, find the right tradeoffs and seek to reduce complexity to help teams deliver and increase leverage for the organization.
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices.
- Translate our data strategy to your team and translate into an outward-looking technology strategy.
- Create a healthy culture of collaboration and inclusion, lead by example in line with the engineering and company values where people can fulfill their potential and actively manage performance.
- Hire and retain top talent in the industry; inspire the organization by exceeding expectations of customers, stakeholders, and product and engineering teams;
PREFERABLY YOU ARE…
- Hands-on engineering leader, with strong experience of shipping machine learning/data products into production and building distributed software systems
- Someone who has already helped other startups and scaleups to achieve their goals, deliver major initiatives and reflect on learnings.
- Someone who strives to be a good leader. You inspire others, lead by example and do everything that is necessary to understand others.
- Goal oriented - you are convinced that there are no problems that can’t be solved, just some solutions might be difficult. You are full of ideas and the desire to experiment and are not afraid to challenge the status quo.
- Business understanding and ability to identify, evaluate and convey the engineering and technology choices and trade-offs to technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability and motivation to roll-up your sleeves and dive deep to help the team when needed
- Track record of successfully solving complex and ambiguous problems
- Ability to speak and write succinctly and clearly
- Experience building & growing inclusive team environments
- Able to ask the right questions and lead teams towards being self-organized and self-sufficient.
sennder is moving trucks with the power of data to unlock endless and sustainable capacity at unparalleled quality. Through our proprietary transportation operating system, built by our in-house tech teams, we not only connect shippers to our fleet of thousands of trucks, but also improve how they move products in sustainable, cost-efficient, and transparent ways - making the logistics industry fit for the future. In a traditional industry, we’re growing and moving fast to digitally automate all road logistics processes.
We are building a curious team that is driven by an ambitious desire to solve the toughest logistics puzzles. What others may consider uncertainty, we see as an opportunity to learn and be proactive. We invite you to go on this journey with us and be part of one of Europe’s inspiring growth stories as we fast-forward road logistics into digitalization.
Get to know us, our culture, green business, funding history, and more on our blog here.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
At sennder, we want to maximize the individual’s potential for all employees and reinforce an inclusive culture and environment of continuous learning that empowers people to succeed as a team. In addition to humility, we value commitment, team spirit, respect, and kindness to build trusted relationships across teams. Learn more on our career site.
- A fast growing, start-up-oriented international team of 900+ people with 65+ nationalities spread across 7 country offices with English as our company language.
- A quarterly feedback and review process for personal development, professional growth, and career opportunities. We also use “Objectives and Key Results” for company goals.
- A structured promotion process, providing everyone with fair and transparent career growth.
- Learning and development opportunities on the job and through conversations with your manager.
- Various opportunities to connect with colleagues, formally and informally, digitally or in person (when allowed), through regular team events, company get-togethers, and partnership events with other companies and local organizers.
- Office first work policy (three days a week), that complies with local COVID-19 restrictions and policies. We also provide flex/hybrid remote working options.
- When in office: unlimited snacks, drinks, and fruits.
- All interviews are currently conducted on a remote basis.
Please send your application in English and help us reduce negative unconscious bias by leaving out your picture, age, address, and other unnecessary information in your CV. We only want to know the merits on which you’d be great for this role.
If you have any questions or problems please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We do not accept applications via email.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Data Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Staff Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Analyst II jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality jobs
- Open Data Engineer - New York Hub jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Machine Learning/Deep Learning jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs