Senior Data Scientist, Discovery
Redwood City, CA
Course Hero is scaling! We are looking for an experienced Senior Data Scientist to join our Data Science and Analytics team. In this role, you will work with big data sets, using deep statistical models, to drive actionable insights and tackle high impact business problems. You will be telling the story behind your insights -- painting a picture to our functional partners, explaining what the numbers are telling us, and recommending product changes, new features, and A/B tests for implementation. As a guideline, you may expect to spend 80% of your time individually driving analyses and insights, and 20% mentoring other data scientists.
The analytics team at Course Hero is central to our functional organization, and heavily influences the strategy and tactics of our company’s roadmap. The analytics team is growing in order to generate more analytical insights to fuel Course Hero’s growth while giving guidance to our product strategy. We are also constantly improving and innovating ways that Course Hero can use data to drive growth and strategic initiatives.
The charter for the Data Science and Analytics team at Course Hero is to focus on supporting the business and product teams with planning, tracking, measuring and enabling data-driven insights to support key decisions. The team will be building models and narratives around student and educator journeys, marginal value and utility, customer and asset lifetime value, inferred intent, behaviors, usage, trends, and economic demand curves powering content recommendations, pricing and other applied data science initiatives. This is a technically-engaged, high-visibility position leading analytics for varied stakeholders across products, marketing and engineering.
The Discovery team works to improve our internal search engine on both the back-end algorithm and front-end UI. The scope of the Senior Data Scientist is very big. You will be asked to partner with the Machine Learning Team to identify areas of opportunity to improve our search engineer algorithm. You will segment the search queries to find actional items and propose ways to improve search queries matching and Click-through rate. You will also be the master mind of search UI and give insights on what’s working and what’s not. In addition, you will design, monitor, and conduct experiments on search engine changes and analyze experiment results. The ideal candidate should be someone who is both good at AB testing and ML model building such as NLP.
Here are some ways you’ll make an impact!
- Influence how we build a mission-driven, high-throughput data science and analytics organization, and contribute to our collaborative culture
- Establish data rigor, data integrity, accuracy, responsiveness and execution cadence across all data science and analytics programs
- Build frameworks and tools to automate ad-hoc and post-hoc analysis requests
- Help Machine Learning team with exploratory data analysis for enabling semantic search and analysis to support applied machine learning across all product initiatives
- Create and implement machine learning models to support products
- Mine structured and unstructured data platforms to understand customer attributes, user journeys, engagement with the products, and growth opportunities for our business
- Design and analyze A/B tests and propose innovative A/B testing techniques to help us learn about our millions of users
- Propose strategic initiatives and goals to help our functional partners to achieve their goals and drive growth
- Effectively communicate data findings to internal and external team members
Are You Our Next Senior Data Scientist?
- 5+ years of working experience in data science or analytics
- Deep understanding of statistics and probability, quantitative sciences, data analysis, natural language processing, text mining, econometrics, and distributed data processing
- Skilled in predictive modeling, statistical modeling, data mining, numerical simulation, stochastic modeling, time series analysis, and portfolio modeling
- Quantitative experience in B2C markets
- Track record of delivering decision support models and quantitative analysis with actionable insights
- Hands-on technical skills in Python, SQL, Map/Reduce, RegEx, and Linux scripting
- Experience with big data platforms such as Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Hive, and Pig
- MS or PhD degree in a scientific or quantitative field
- Experience mentoring or managing other data scientists
- Past experience with unstructured data and NLP
- Knowledge and experience working with Google Analytics, Tableau, Amplitude, and Treasure Data
Benefits & Perks:
- Full private medical coverage (medical, dental, vision)
- Retirement savings program
- Paid Parental Leave
- Education Reimbursement
- Quarterly team events and outings
- Team lunches
- Social responsibility program (volunteer hours and donation matching program)
- Front row seat to Master Educator lectures – check out our Lecture Series videos
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion within our company. We will consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or ability status. We will ensure that individuals who are differently abled are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment as provided to other applicants or employees. Please contact us to request accommodation.
About Us:Course Hero is on a mission to help students graduate, confident and prepared. The online learning platform offers over 60 million course-specific study resources created by and for students and educators, as well as 24/7 tutor help. More than 65,000 verified college educators use Course Hero to collaborate with other faculty and share resources to hone new strategies for instruction. Everyday, students, educators and tutors help more than 20 million students make every study hour count.
We have an awesome team and a truly engaging culture. We are customer-focused, collaborative, responsible, gritty, and we love to learn. Our bold mission is to help students graduate confident and prepared!
We are not the only ones that think we’re onto something big. Course Hero has been recognized as one of the 2021 Top 100 Best Places to Work in the Bay Area, Top 50 Best Paying Companies in the Bay Area, Top 100 Most Transparent Companies, and in the Top 50 Most Transformational Companies in Education Technology. Read up on some of our recent news coverage, blog, and learn more about us to see what it is like to work with our team.
Join us on our mission!
Tags: A/B testing Big Data Data analysis Data Mining Econometrics Engineering Hadoop Linux Machine Learning ML NLP PhD Predictive modeling Python Spark SQL Statistical modeling Statistics Tableau Testing Unstructured data
Other jobs like this
U.S. FDA/Center for Devices and Radiological Health
Staff Fellow - Data ScientistData analysis Deep Learning Machine Learning ML ML models Predictive modeling Python +7
Career development Health care Relocation support Transparency
Coupa Software, Inc.
Data ScientistAgile Big Data Engineering Machine Learning ML Model training Python +4
Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Flex vacation Health care
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Director of Data Engineering jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Power BI-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs