Senior Engineering Manager - Data Science Foundations
Remote - US / Canada
GitHubBuild better together
Posted 1 month ago
The Data Science group’s vision at GitHub is to supercharge our platform and services by leveraging our data in order to improve the software engineering workflow. We seek to enable more people to engage in the creation, collaboration and consumption of code while having an active hand in the participation of the future development of the software supply chain. To that end, we both produce features powered by data science/machine learning techniques, as well as build products to enable data/data science collaboration.
The Data Science Foundation team’s role in this overarching vision is to empower scientists and engineers to collaborate on novel and creative data products by bringing data science / machine learning workflows into parity with modern software development and infrastructure management. Pragmatically, this looks like serving internal and external data scientists and researchers with improved workflows - building actions to automate pipelines, improving notebook collaboration, and leading the vision for what data collaboration products will look like on the GitHub platform.
Given the broad scope of how Data Science at GitHub interacts with both our platform and business, the leader we're searching for must be able to review, assess and help articulate fit-for-purpose products, services, and infrastructure in what is a very fast moving field, while simultaneously helping to guide and mentor the team using a well reasoned and pragmatic approach to data science collaboration product creation and delivery.
- Partnering with Product Management on long term vision, roadmap priorities, and product lifecycle from initial business case, through roadmap formulation and product integration delivery
- Partnering with engineering and product leaders to ensure alignment across functions
- Driving software requirements with partner engineering teams to support data product integration
- Driving infrastructure requirements to support data science collaboration products
- Assessing staffing needs to help shape and grow the Data Science Foundations team to increase its impact
- Promoting team growth via coaching, mentoring, and ensuring new learning opportunities
- Managing execution and communication
- Proven experience leading software engineering teams that have shipped projects from an initial set of requirements to production
- Direct exposure to Data Science and Machine Learning workflows
- 5 years or equivalent experience managing and growing a software engineering team
- A track record of developing and managing a network of cross functional partnerships across engineering and product organizations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills that crystallize and distill complex topics into action
- Professional data science ecosystem experience
- Deep expertise in Data Science (inclusive of Machine & Deep Learning) theory, methods and their practical application
- The ability to balance near term product feature work and long term research
- Experience with large-scale distributed systems
- Ability to lead a diverse set of geographically distributed data scientists and machine learning engineers
- A passion for GitHub's brand, platform and product and a desire to improve it via novel application of applied data science products
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.