AI Algorithms Postdoctoral Fellow
1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA
Full Time Entry-level / Junior
AI Algorithms Postdoctoral Fellow - 94064
Department: CR-Computational Research
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Computational Research Division (https://crd.lbl.gov/) has an opening for a AI Algorithms Postdoctoral Fellow Postdoc to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will join Berkeley Lab’s Computer Languages and Systems Software (CLaSS) group, a world-leading team researching and developing programming models and software for parallel and quantum computing. CLaSS research focuses on the design and development of parallel programming languages, compilers, networking middleware, runtime libraries, and quantum synthesis tools. Open-source software produced by CLaSS and its collaborators include the GASNet-EX exascale communication library, the Berkeley UPC compiler, the UPC++ template library, BQSKit quantum synthesis toolkit, and the OpenCoarrays parallel runtime library. CLaSS researchers collaborate with computational scientists across application domains ranging from large-scale genome assembly to materials modeling and climate simulation.
The postdoc will identify and implement artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms to accelerate a proxy application or communication kernel for the Intermediate Complexity Atmospheric Research (ICAR) model using AI accelerator hardware. CLaSS develops the ICAR proxy app in collaboration with the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR). Target applications for AI might include implicit time advancement, tuning turbulence models, or dynamic load balancing. The postdoc will write code in Fortran 2018 or in C++ using the UPC++ template library. The postdoc will also have the opportunity to contribute to other CLaSS research projects and to collaborate with computational scientists and research software engineers at Berkeley Lab and NCAR.
What You Will Do:
• Gather and analyze data on the performance and scalability of an atmospheric transport application.
• Collaborate with scientists and engineers at Berkeley Lab and NCAR on the development of novel software for accelerating climate-change predictions using AI accelerator hardware.
• Contribute to one or more CLaSS projects, including the development of new algorithms and software for high-performance computing on heterogeneous computer system architectures.
• Document work and results in technical reports, journal articles, and conference papers.
• Present results at scientific meetings.
• Requires a Ph.D. in computer science, atmospheric sciences, or related computational science and engineering disciplines.
• Experience writing distributed-memory parallel code for scientific applications.
• Experience writing object-oriented Fortran - or C++.
• Experience designing AI algorithms and expressing the resulting algorithms in code.
• Ability to translate complex algorithms in high-performing, scalable software.
• Ability to communicate effectively and to contribute to a large software project.
• Demonstrated ability to prepare research results for publication and presentation at seminars and • Experience with AI applications and development.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Experience with the object-oriented and parallel features of Fortran 2008 or 2018.
• Experience with simulating turbulent fluid flow or the atmospheric transport of molecular species or particulate matter.
• This is a full-time 2-year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position will be remote initially, but limited to individuals residing in the United States tentatively until 2021 due to COVID-19. Once the Bay Area shelter-in-place restrictions are lifted, work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://18.104.22.168/counter.php?id=210480 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program, Berkeley Lab strongly recommends that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of Physical Presence at a Berkeley Lab Location, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments. Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab's mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Staff Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Analyst II jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality jobs
- Open Data Engineer - New York Hub jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning - Toronto Hub jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs