Engineering Lead - Machine Learning
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
So, we’re building a new one.
Enter: our Machine Learning Platform team! 🎉
For our customers, using Wise is as simple as sending money from A to B. Yet behind our app and website is a complex engine of currencies, routes, products and features, generating terabytes of data each day. Machine Learning Platform is at the core of systems that leverage this data, providing real time decision making capabilities that serve as one of many drivers for business growth. As an Engineering Lead in the wider Platform tribe and Engineering organization, you will have an opportunity to directly affect machine learning engineering strategy, scalability and reliability, building production systems that are ultimately making things better for all customers.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the team
- You will be responsible for the well-being of the team, coaching, mentoring and growing high-performing team in bringing value by working on high-impact solutions.
- You will support the team by hands-on involvement as a machine learning engineer, bringing senior engineering expertise into building solutions.
- You’ll be collaborating with other leads, engineers, data scientists, analysts and product managers in the wider organization.
- Exactly what you’ll be doing day to day will vary, as our team looks at the big picture challenges we see across all of data science, engineering and business!
Is this you?
These (and feeling comfortable with the above points) are the only must-have ones for this role - everything else is flexible!
- You are a problem solver, and are able to deliver iterable solutions in a collaborative and open way.
- You’re good at communicating, comfortable engaging with other teams to get things done, and willing to present to the wider organization occasionally.
- You have good leadership qualities and experience in leading data science or engineering teams.
- You will not settle for unexplained downtime and outages, and do not want to repeatedly be solving the same problems!
- You have a senior engineering background in Python or Java ecosystems, having high coding standards, understanding of system design and engineering principles.
- You have experience in operating with services provided cloud services such as (preferably) AWS or GCP.
- You have several years experience in working with ML frameworks and libraries such as Tensorflow, Pytorch, Scikit-learn, H2O or Spark Mlib.
- You have deep technical and up-to-date domain expertise in end-to-end machine learning concepts, knowledge of best practices, standards and common pitfalls.
Nice to Have
- Passionate about technology and its relationship with product and user experience.
- You are a security and privacy advocate, understanding concepts such as principle of least privilege, and are able to apply basic security principles at infrastructure and application level.
- Experience with configuration management (Ansible, Packer), CI/CD (GitHub Actions), Infrastructure as Code (Terraform), containers (Docker), container and job orchestration (Kubernetes, Airflow)
- Customer is at the heart of everything you do and this empathy drives all decisions you make.
- Ability to articulate complex and technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Knowledge/interest in payment platforms, foreign exchange & highly complex systems.
- Be a customer of TransferWise.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work - a practical guide
- TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- Engineering team blog
- Scaling our Infrastructure: how we make it work
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Lead Data Engineer jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Staff Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality jobs
- Open Data Analyst II jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer - Machine Learning - Toronto Hub jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs