Staff Data Engineer, AWS Cost Data
San Francisco, CA
AirbnbFind vacation rentals, cabins, beach houses, unique homes and experiences around the world - all made possible by hosts on Airbnb.
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
AWS Cost team @ Airbnb
Airbnb runs on AWS and infrastructure cost management is an important focus for Airbnb’s scale of operations. Airbnb has a complex technical stack which makes it difficult to understand the true cost of services that are several layers deep. This requires us to have robust data systems that are able to attribute costs to the right services and teams. The AWS cost team tackles these complex problems and helps Airbnb manage our overall costs.
We are looking for a Staff Data Engineer to join the team and help us take our cost data program to the next level. This team builds solutions at Airbnb scale to help teams understand their costs and manage them. Candidates will need to be data-centric, develop a strong understanding of the Airbnb technology stack and lead projects across teams that have a direct impact on Airbnb’s bottom line.
Some of our work is available in these public posts:
But this is just the beginning of our journey. There are new areas that you can help us explore like measuring Airbnb-wide utilization data (e.g. CPU utilization) and breaking new grounds for efficiency.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, you belong at Airbnb.
- Design, develop and manage large scale data processing systems to measure Airbnb’s infrastructure cost, usage and resource utilization
- Partner with Data Science and Program Managers to systematically scale systems and processes to manage ongoing costs
- Develop deep understanding of Airbnb systems across all areas and work with teams across Airbnb to help them understand, plan and manage their costs
- Manage and deliver technical roadmap for Cost Data team
- Set standards of operational excellence by building data systems that are reliable, efficient, testable, & maintainable
- Evangelize high quality software engineering practices towards building data infrastructure and pipelines at scale
- Contribute to shared Data Engineering tooling & standards to improve the productivity and quality of output for Data Engineers across the company
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in CS/EE, or equivalent experience.
- Experience designing, building and operating robust distributed systems.
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL).
- Experience with Java / Scala / Spark
- Effectively work across team boundaries to establish overarching data architecture, and provide guidance to individual teams.
- Experience leading programs and driving technical decisions that impact multiple teams
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Data Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Staff Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub jobs
- Open Data Analyst II jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs