Staff Machine Learning Scientist - Causal Inference
Wayfair Inc.Shop Wayfair for A Zillion Things Home across all styles and budgets. 5,000 brands of furniture, lighting, cookware, and more. Free Shipping on most items.
By applying to this position, your application is automatically considered for the range of Data Science roles we have at Wayfair. If we think you might be a fit, a recruiter will reach out to learn more about your background and discuss relevant positions in more detail.
Who we are
Our Marketing Data Science team drives development of world-class ML systems that improve our customer understanding and marketing decisions. We build innovative DS products and services that enhance our customer experience, improve customer loyalty, and ultimately grow our business. We have a modern tech stack including sophisticated capabilities around AI, data science, causal inference and personalization. We’re a highly collaborative, supportive team that values learning, psychological safety and intentional career development.
As a senior manager, you'll be working to push the boundary of approaches to causal inference with rich, high-volume customer data, identifying drivers of business growth beyond of A/B testing. With engineering partners you'll implement these best-in-class approaches as scalable solutions to drive broad impact across marketing, operations, and storefront. This role is an opportunity to lead how Wayfair approaches work at the intersection of data engineering and statistics.
What you’ll do
- Define and drive the science vision for a platform-based solution for evaluating the long-term, incremental value of our millions of offerings.
- Lead R&D effort to develop innovative causal inference approaches that will extend current capabilities and scale our platform to new use cases.
- Work highly cross-functionally with business leadership, stakeholders, and partner data science and engineering teams to drive the integration of model outputs into company-wide business decision-making and existing production systems.
- Developing robust solutions to infer or recover causal relationships from observational data, in a way that minimizes self-selection or third-variable problems.
- Scope and prioritize new business or stakeholders needs, balancing between delivering MVP solutions and working towards long term platform development
- Develop and own communication strategy for both technical and business stakeholders (including product roadmap, planning, executive documentation, and progress updates)
- Act as a subject matter expert and thought leader on experimentation and causal inference techniques; research industry trends and best practices and bring them to life at Wayfair.
- Engage in the interview process and otherwise develop, grow, and mentor junior scientists; provide mentorship and technical guidance to develop your team as well to influence broader DS organization.
Who you are
- Advanced degree (Master or PhD) in Economics, Statistics or other quantitative field with an emphasis on causal inference and/or experimental design.
- 5+ years of experience working as a professional data or research scientist. Consistent track record of autonomous delivery of DS/ML projects that drive measurable business impact.
- Collaborative team player who wants to see themselves and others thrive.
- Expertise in causal inference and interest in bringing best-in-class solutions to e-commerce space.
- Takes a customer-centric approach to ideation and problem-solving
- Track-record of influencing non-technical stakeholders on strategic direction by leveraging data-driven insights; excellent written and verbal communication.
- Strategic thinker with a customer-centric mindset and a desire for creative problem solving, looking to make a big impact in a growing organization
- Proficient in one or more programming languages, e.g. Python, R, etc.
- Experience with GCP (BigQuery, GCS, Dataproc, Notebooks), Airflow, and containerization (Docker)
- Experience building scalable data processing pipelines with big data tools such as Hadoop, Hive, SQL, Spark, etc.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Product Manager, Machine Learning jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analyst II jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Data Engineer - New York Hub jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs