2022 Luis J. Alvarez and Admiral Grace M. Hopper Postdoc Fellowship in Computing Sciences
1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA
Applications have closed
2022 Luis J. Alvarez and Admiral Grace M. Hopper Postdoc Fellowship in Computing Sciences - 93892
Luis J. Alvarez Fellowship and Admiral Grace M. Hopper Postdoctoral Fellowship in Computing Sciences
The Computing Sciences Area at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory is now accepting applications for two distinguished postdoctoral fellowships in Computing Sciences:
• Luis W. Alvarez Postdoctoral Fellowship, and
• Admiral Grace M. Hopper Postdoctoral Fellowship.
Researchers in computer science, mathematics, or any computational science discipline who have received their Ph.D. no earlier than January 1, 2019 are encouraged to apply. Only one (1) application is needed and it will be considered for both postdoctoral fellowships.
The successful applicants will work with a research group within the Computing Sciences Area and receive a competitive salary, professional travel allowance, relocation assistance, excellent benefits, and an opportunity to work in the dynamic San Francisco Bay Area.
Since its founding in 2002, Berkeley Lab’s Luis W. Alvarez Postdoctoral Fellowship (go.lbl.gov/alvarez) has cultivated exceptional early career scientists who have gone on to make outstanding contributions to computer science, mathematics, and computational sciences. The Admiral Grace Hopper Fellowship (go.lbl.gov/hopper) was first awarded in 2015 with the goal of enabling early career scientists to make outstanding contributions in high performance computing (HPC) research.
About Computing Sciences at Berkeley Lab:
Whether running extreme-scale simulations on a supercomputer or applying machine-learning or data analysis to massive datasets, scientists today rely on advances in and integration across applied mathematics, computer science, and computational science, as well as large-scale computing and networking facilities, to increase our understanding of ourselves, our planet, and our universe. Berkeley Lab's Computing Sciences Area researches, develops, and deploys new tools and technologies to meet these needs and to advance research in our core capabilities of applied mathematics, computer science, and computational science. In addition to fundamental advances in our core capabilities, we impact such areas as astrophysics and cosmology, accelerator physics, chemical science and materials science, combustion, fusion energy, nuclear physics, biology, climate change, and HPC systems and network technology. Research areas in Computing Sciences include but are not limited to:
• Developing scientific applications and software technologies for extreme-scale and energy-efficient computing
• Developing mathematical modeling for complex scientific problems
• Designing algorithms to improve the performance of scientific applications
• Researching digital and post-digital computer architectures for science
• Advancing extreme-scale scientific data management, analysis, and machine-learning
• Developing next-generation machine learning and AI approaches for science
• Advancing quantum computing technologies, software, algorithms and applications
• Evaluating or developing new and promising HPC systems and networking technologies
• Researching methods to control and manage dynamic circuit networks
• Developing large-scale visualization and analytics technologies
• Managing scientific data in distributed environments.
What is Required:
• Requires a Ph.D. in computer science, mathematics, computational science, or related discipline
• Candidates must have received their Ph.D. within the last three years
• Expertise with advanced algorithms, software techniques, HPC systems and/or networking in a related research field
• Demonstrated creativity and the ability to perform independent research
• Demonstrated excellence in a related research field including: solid publication record, high citations, • Ability to develop new cross-disciplinary partnerships that use advanced computational and/or mathematical techniques to produce unique lab capabilities
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to facilitate communications and collaborations with internal and external stakeholders
• Knowledge of advanced computing and high-performance computing
For consideration, applications are due November 22, 2021.
There is a multi-step application process:
1. Submit a full and complete application, including the names and contact information for references.
2. As part of your application process, you must upload and submit the following materials: with your online application.
• Cover Letter
• Research Statement (should be no more than five (5) pages in length)
• Publications List
3. Three (3) Letters of Reference must be submitted directly from three individual letter writers on your behalf (due November 29, 2021). You are required to use the template Letter of Reference Template to send requests for your letters to your letter writers. The template provides instructions for letter writers regarding where to return the letter and outlines the required deadline.
4. Application deadline: November 22, 2021. However, your letters of reference must be received by the Lab directly from your letter-writers by November 29, 2021. We recommend that you give advance notice of the deadlines to your letter-writers.
• It is highly advisable that you have all the required application materials and information ready and available prior to completing and submitting your application. Your application will not be considered complete if any of the above information is missing.
• This is a two-year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal and/or conversion to a Career or Term Research Scientist position based upon appropriate division review and approval, job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs.
• The selected candidates will be offered either the Luis J. Alvarez Fellowship or the Admiral Grace M. Hopper Fellowship based on their research focus.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position.
• Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=209132 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
Other jobs like this
Senior Research Data ScientistBig Data Computer Science Engineering ETL Feature engineering Hadoop Industrial +12
Career development Equity Flex hours Health care Home office stipend
Machine Learning Research EngineerComputer Science Computer Vision Deep Learning Generative modeling GitHub GPU Keras +8
401(k) matching Career development Equity Health care Medical leave +2
Huawei Technologies Canada Co., Ltd.
Computer Vision Research ScientistAutonomous Driving Classification Computer Science Computer Vision Deep Learning Human Machine Interaction ICLR +10
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Data Science Intern jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open BI Developer jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Director, Data Engineering jobs
- Open Junior Data Scientist jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Statistics/Python/BI) (Bangkok-based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Power BI Developer jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open ML models-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Finance-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open APIs-related jobs
- Open Data management-related jobs
- Open PhD-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Deep Learning-related jobs
- Open Scala-related jobs
- Open Data visualization-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs