Principal Data Scientist - Product Analytics
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We are the Data Team. A collective of specialists driven by our shared mission to help establish Xero as the most insightful and trusted small business platform. Our backgrounds and work are diverse—we work on data platforms, data modelling, application development, applied research, analytics, ethics, literacy, and strategy, to name a few. At the heart of our mission is helping our colleagues and customers get value from data responsibly, on robust data platforms, with robust methods.
The Ecosystem Analytics function sits inside the wider Data Team. The function comprises Data Scientists and Product Managers. We work closely with cross-functional pods in the Ecosystem Team to deliver on the mission to build and grow a network of developers, partners and small businesses who innovate and solve problems on Xero.
How you'll make an impact
The mission for the Ecosystem Analytics function is to improve Xero’s understanding of its ecosystem’s performance and advance its improvement effort with actionable insights. As a Data Scientist in the function, your focus will be on the newly released Xero App Store and the data generated through customers discovering, purchasing and using 3rd party apps as well as the partners and developers who build them.
Your contributions will be two-fold. First, you will work with pods (and marketing) in the Ecosystem Team to understand opportunities from data to improve acquisition, engagement and retention of customers and partners in the app ecosystem, and validate them. As part of this, you will ensure that the required data about the participants in the ecosystem and their behaviour exist to support the necessary analytics. Second, as a valued, senior member of an emerging analytics function underpinned by statistical rigour, adherence to the scientific method and a deep appreciation for the complex dynamics of the ecosystem, you will help shape who we are, how we work and champion our practices.
What you'll do
- Gain a deep, intimate understanding of the dynamics of Xero’s ecosystem, as this domain knowledge will form the basis of how we work with and interpret the data.
- Immerse in the often complex and messy data about participants in the ecosystem and their behavior.
- Continually provide feedback, plan and work with relevant Ecosystem pods to improve data quality and coverage, e.g., through improved instrumentation.
- Build out and continually refine analytics assets such as notebooks, reports and dashboards as required to support analysis and sharing and communication of findings.
- Champion and coach experimental design practices with Ecosystem pods to maximise the usefulness of the data collected and validity of the findings.
- Lead the ongoing, collective effort to streamline internal analytics processes through abstraction, automation and so on.
- Promote consideration for relevant intricacies about the ecosystem and its participants within the wider Data Team’s work.
- Promote and lead co-discovery of improvement opportunities informed by analytics.
- Refine and translate requirements for analytics into distinct, manageable tasks and promote progress visibility.
- Lead the prioritisation of analytics work to align with Ecosystem pods’ roadmaps as well as manage expectations of these stakeholders.
- Participate in decision making that affects data collection throughout the ecosystem by making key stakeholders aware of the impact on our use of data and the insights that we produce.
- Lead ongoing internal Xero education and evangelism efforts supported by the broader Data Team, in particular on analytics practices within the Ecosystem Team.
- Participate in and shape our recruitment processes, helping Xero grow diverse and world-class talent in Ecosystem Analytics.
- Represent Xero externally by speaking at public forums (Meetups, lectures, etc) to raise awareness of the work we do and build our hiring brand.
- Facilitate and coach others to tease out requirements for data analysis, ascertain feasibility, and document outcomes and next steps.
What you'll bring with you
- Training in the sciences and a good grasp of a range of fundamental and advanced concepts in statistics.
- At least seven years experience in an analytics or data science function in online marketplace or platform businesses.
- Expert-level hands-on skills with data wrangling and statistical methods using SQL, Python, etc on relational DBs and data warehouses.
- Extensive exposure to multiple data visualisation tools and an understanding of their strengths and drawbacks.
- Experience leading the use of advanced analytics and/or delivery of data-enhanced solutions across multiple cross-functional teams.
- Strong systems thinking with a track record of approaching analysis and data solution design in complex business environments.
- Willingness to share and to learn from people with different skill sets both within and outside of your immediate teams.
- Exceptional task management and prioritisation skills across multiple teams and streams of work to deal with competing demands and alignment with strategy.
- Strong relationship building skills to create trust with stakeholders to improve alignment and co-delivery of initiatives.
- Proficient in conveying, both oral and written, potentially complex ideas or charts simplistically or at the right level suited to the audience.
- Strong command of statistics with heightened appreciation for the challenges associated with its application on user behaviour data in the wild.
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Other jobs like this
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
Find open roles in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), Data Engineering, Data Analytics, Big Data, and Data Science in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Data Engineer II jobs
- Open Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Principal Data Scientist jobs
- Open Big Data Engineer jobs
- Open Junior Data Analyst jobs
- Open Computer Vision Engineer jobs
- Open Data Analytics Engineer jobs
- Open Research Scientist, Computer Vision jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) jobs
- Open Data Scientist II jobs
- Open Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Autonomous Vehicle System Test Specialist jobs
- Open Data Engineering Lead jobs
- Open Senior Data Architect jobs
- Open Data Analyst (Remote) jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst jobs
- Open Research Scientist, NLP jobs
- Open Head of Data Science jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Marketing Data Analyst jobs
- Open Junior Data Engineer jobs
- Open Associate Data Analyst- Customer Experience Group | Bangkok-based jobs
- Open Senior Data Engineer (Remote) jobs
- Open Senior Machine Learning Scientist jobs
- Open TensorFlow-related jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Excel-related jobs
- Open Business Intelligence-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Redshift-related jobs
- Open Streaming-related jobs
- Open Hadoop-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Git-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs