Group Leader for Data and Analytics Team
1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA
Full Time Mid-level / Intermediate
Group Leader for Data and Analytics Team - 93872
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC, https://www.nersc.gov/) Division has an opening for a Group Leader for the Data and Analytics Group
In this exciting role, you will provide vision and guidance and lead a team that provides data management, analytics and AI software, support and expertise to NERSC users and helps users to run analysis, models, simulations and workflows across NERSC’s supercomputing and data resources which include the 150 petaflop HPE NVIDIA GPU-based Perlmutter system, a 120 PB File system and a greater than 200 PB archival storage system. The Data and Analytics Group Leader will provide leadership, technical expertise, guidance and mentoring to group members and will also play a key role in developing and executing NERSC and the CS Area’s strategic initiatives in AI and Beyond Moore technologies.
The National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC) is a national user facility and the high performance computing facility for the Department of Energy's Office of Science programs serving over 8000 users performing unclassified research in climate modeling, materials science, cosmology, fusion energy science, high energy physics, chemistry, biological sciences and more.
What You Will Do:
• Create and develop a vision and strategy for the group and be part of NERSC’s leadership team.
• Lead and manage the Data and Analytics Group, a team comprised of approximately 10 staff members who have advanced degrees in CS, physics, ML and other science fields. Providing staff opportunities to grow and expand skill sets and duties. Maintain a work environment that embraces diversity and fosters creativity and innovation.
• Take a lead role designing and implementing scalable data services on NERSC systems and assure NERSC users data and analytics needs are met.
• Find and create innovative solutions to support existing and emerging user communities, particularly from the DOE user facilities, that have data analytics, ML and complex workflow requirements
• Work closely with other teams at NERSC and across Berkeley Lab to enable large-scale simulation, data analysis and AI applications to run on NERSC supercomputing and storage systems.
• Take a lead role in understanding and gathering user data requirements by engaging with the user community
• Collaborate with other Department of Energy (DOE) Labs and industry on future technology including AI hardware
• Create and advocate for data management and curation policies that support users’ efforts to easily collaborate, share, move and manage data (FAIR data standards).
• Represent NERSC in the HPC community at conferences, workshops and by developing peer-to-peer contacts with staff at other HPC sites
What is Required:
• Bachelor's degree and 10 years of relevant, progressive experience (or a combination of education and experience) plus at least 3 years in a leadership role.
• Broad computational background including experience with latest data analytics, ML, python packages
• Prior experience with scientific applications, workflows and computational systems.
• Ability to work effectively with stakeholders, understand user needs, and show initiative, tact, and judgment in developing solutions for users.
• Ability to assume lead role in activities, ability to grasp complex problems and develop solutions.
• Ability to innovate new operational, service and support mechanisms.
• Ability to provide supervision, guidance and mentoring for the professionals and technical support staff in the group.
• Strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
• A Ph.D., Master’s degree or research experience in a scientific, mathematics or computational, discipline such as: statistics, data mining, analytics and visualization, applied mathematics, parallel algorithms, parallel I/O, biology, chemistry, material science, physics or environmental science.
• Proven track record leading teams with expertise spanning many subject areas
• Experience providing end-user support or working with teams that provide end user support
• Experience with the software lifecycle from design and development through maintenance.
• Knowledge of a variety of storage technologies.
• This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=209108 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Know your rights, click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.
Explore more AI/ML/Data Science career opportunities
- Open Junior Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Machine Learning Scientist Jobs
- Open Sr. Machine Learning Engineer Jobs
- Open Data Architect Jobs
- Open Data Analytics Manager Jobs
- Open Data Scientist, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - Toronto Hub Jobs
- Open Data Science Manager Jobs
- Open Manager, Data Engineering Jobs
- Open Head of Data Science Jobs
- Open Applied Data Scientist - B2B Sales Incrementality Jobs
- Open Data Analyst Intern Jobs
- Open Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Data Science Intern Jobs
- Open Data Analyst II Jobs
- Open Lead Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Scientist (Remote) Jobs
- Open Senior Data Analyst (Bangkok Based, relocation provided) Jobs
- Open Data Engineer: Data Integration Jobs
- Open Business Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Data Engineer - New York Hub Jobs
- Open Financial Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Software Engineer, Machine Learning Jobs
- Open Sr. Data Analyst Jobs
- Open Staff Data Scientist Jobs
- Open Looker-related jobs
- Open Economics-related jobs
- Open Airflow-related jobs
- Open Kafka-related jobs
- Open PyTorch-related jobs
- Open Snowflake-related jobs
- Open Kubernetes-related jobs
- Open Healthcare-related jobs
- Open GCP-related jobs
- Open NLP-related jobs
- Open Data Mining-related jobs
- Open Data Warehousing-related jobs
- Open Pandas-related jobs
- Open BigQuery-related jobs
- Open Distributed Systems-related jobs
- Open Azure-related jobs
- Open Computer Vision-related jobs
- Open Consulting-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Linux-related jobs
- Open Scikit-Learn-related jobs
- Open Classification-related jobs
- Open NoSQL-related jobs
- Open A/B testing-related jobs
- Open MySQL-related jobs